Wednesday 23 October 2019

Wasted Potential

I was writing a post to clarify and reiterate my response to encountering fat person's thin privilege, but I've decided against it. Everyone must know their limitations and this seems to be mine. It is inevitable that things move on, and if that means without me even as a marginalised figure so be it. I've done all I can with regard to trying to find a way to remain in touching distance with the online fatsphere phenomena.

Now that's done.

I want it to be stated for the record that when I went back on twitter recently, I said, we need to work together. Turns out I was wrong and not for the first time. Apparently we don't need to work together.

Well okay, thank you all for telling me, we don't!

I came to the online fatsphere, sorry, can't do the 'o' because what usually seemed to happen in social matters, by the time I'd become aware, developed a cogent response, someone had said exactly what I wanted to say. I got so used to this happening, I began to take it for granted, to the point where I just didn't bother to pursue it, someone would come along and make the case.

Weight, fatness was the first time that didn't happen. I waited, on my usual assumption, for someone to say something about the 'obesity' mess and no-one, to my hearing, did. Not only that, the usual failsafe of any wrong direction in society- this gets bad enough, people will see the error and change course.

I realised, not so much that this wasn't going to happen in this case, more that we'd already gone waaay past this point, nothing was going to stop this. If I had something to say, some insight to bring, I had a duty to add my voice.

The people pushing the 'obesity' crusade weren't going to stop themselves. And fat people were "silent". Our conscious awareness was not in operation. This is almost without precedent in my experience. Not that people being silenced, but people being unable to speak in this peculiar way.

Cut a long story short I found blogs and a forum or two that were addressing the subject. I was looking for like minds. Can't say I found them, but I felt we all could agree on certain things, namely this crusade to attack people on the grounds of weight could not be allowed to just carry on.

What I didn't expect, was that no-one seemed to be ready to leave that 'obesity' box and start a discourse  that would both liberate our buried consciousness at the same time as dismantling 'obesity' establishing a proper scientific footing for the study of metabolic function and outcomes such as body mass.

Instead, people who's (initial) realisation took them out of the box, returned to it as if that wasn't in the opposite direction. When I asked why. All I got was: "We must, we must!"

Damn.

I felt resolving this situation was eminently doable, though expected it to take longer than planned, as things tend to. I was a bit fists of fury in my urgency, certain conjunctions of advantage presented themselves and I wanted to use them to the fullest before that window of opportunity closed. I see now that put a lot of people off.

Ho, hum.

I figured we'd set up our own mind freeing discourse, start making moves, by the time other's had figured us out, we might well have derailed the cult of 'obesity'. No chance😆. It wasn't up to me to say what's what. So there that went and here we are.

'Obesity' peddlers were shaken, now they're back with their same old shit because they can see the obvious. It doesn't feel accidental.What I see is opportunity wasted really. It didn't have to be like this. But isn't that life? No it isn't actually. It's a fiasco. I might be embarrassed, if I hadn't already spent so much time being embarrassed under false pretences of shame and frankly facing the ludicrous 'obesity' fandango. What a shitshow that is.

Its stupidity can truly freeze the senses.

Cliched though it may seem, the definitive spark for my involvement was for the children, who I was determined would not endure the years of barren confusion and emptiness so many of us endured over this wretched matter. For no reason but the dumb caprices of others. I wanted to be part of stopping this for them.

Sorry children, you're just going to have to find your way through it as those who have gone before you.

So that is it. I and my privilege are cut loose to wield my mighty powers on the universe.

I've got a few things in mind. As long as I have something to contribute and can be arsed to get it together, I will. It might take some time to see what gives, after not trying to take certain views into account.

I'll be glad to get my brain back, or what's left of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment