Saturday 14 February 2009

What is fat acceptance?

It's a question that has as many answers as people who wish to answer it but for me, it's very much a personal thing. I feel like its self acceptance, pure and simple.

It's saying; you know how you need self esteem and respect to see yourself in a positive light? Well guess what? It's the same if you're fat.

The fat acceptance movement for me is a matter of thought; any politics comes out of that. It's a question that has as many answers as people who wish to answer it but for me, it's very much a personal thing.

It is acceptance that this is what you are. You are fat. You aren't waiting to be something else, it has proven not to be a temporary state and even if it was, you would accept yourself as fat, because that is where you are, now.

In all that isn't much, it's possibly too small to be turned into a political movement; the political thing is somewhat outside my interest as personally, I see FA as a movement of thought. It doesn't mean I rule out action, not at all, but what has drawn me to it is thinking because as yet, it is changing ones opinions of oneself, from outer to inner directed, sort of a like consciousness raising, or a revival of your mental and physical spirits, if you will and that will support anything else.

It's a reversal of what's gone before, of seeing being fat as a temporary state you will leave as soon as possible. At some point, the need to accept yourself becomes stronger than to not do so, as the costs mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment